Lamp Archives 2017

ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

January 2017

Read the Lamp online at FtLeavenworthLamp.com

ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

February 2017

ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

March 2017

ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

April 2017


ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

May 2017


ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

June 2017

ks-ftleavenworthlamp_logo

Jul7 2017


About Fort Leavenworth

The Lamp is the newspaper of Fort Leavenworth
The Lamp is the newspaper of Fort Leavenworth

Fort Leavenworth is a United States Army installation located in Leavenworth County, Kansas, immediately north of the city of Leavenworth in the upper northeast portion of the state. Built in 1827, it is the oldest active United States Army post west of Washington, D.C. and the oldest permanent settlement in Kansas.[1] Fort Leavenworth has been historically known as the “Intellectual Center of the Army”.[2]

Fort Leavenworth was also the base of African-American soldiers of the U.S. 10th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army, formed on 21 September 1866 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. They became known as Buffalo Soldiers, nicknamed by the Native American tribes whom they fought. This term eventually was applied to all of the African-American regiments formed in 1866.

During the country’s westward expansion, Fort Leavenworth was a forward destination for thousands of soldiers, surveyors, immigrants, American Indians, preachers and settlers who passed through. On August 1, 1846, a Mormon Battalion, led by Col. James Allen, arrived at Fort Leavenworth. Colonel Allen became ill and died at the fort; his headstone marks his grave at the Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery.

image

Today, the garrison supports the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) by managing and maintaining the home of the U.S. Army Combined Arms Center (CAC). CAC’s mission involves leader development, collective training, Army doctrine and battle command (current and future).

Fort Leavenworth is home to the Military Corrections Complex, consisting of the United States Disciplinary Barracks, the Department of Defense’s only maximum security prison, and the Midwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility. In addition, the Fort Leavenworth Garrison supports numerous tenant organizations that directly and indirectly relate to the functions of the CAC, including the United States Army Command and General Staff College and the Foreign Military Studies Office.

The fort occupies 5,600 ac (2,300 ha) and 7,000,000 ft2 (700,000 m2) of space in 1,000 buildings and 1,500 quarters. It is located on the Frontier Military Scenic Byway (U.S. Route 69 and K-7 corridor), which was originally a military road connecting to Fort Scott National Historic Site and Fort Gibson.

Source: Wikipedia


CLICK BELOW TO ACCESS RESPECTIVE ARCHIVE

– – –

[Return: JAZZ JOURNALIST HOME]

Burnett Publishing Office
Burnett Publishing Office